Pages

Sunday, November 13, 2011

My Favorite Things: Dior's New Look, 1947+

The post-war designs by Christian Dior, referred to as "The New Look" are among the most beautiful clothing designs of the 20th century, in my humble opinion.









The clothing reflected the post-war boom, the luxury of non-rationing, and a return to a traditional female silhouette. Despite being a feminist, I find the styles of the Dior clothes of this period, as well as the advertisements and photographs for them, simply beautiful.

Dior put yards and yards of fabric into the skirts. The fabrics were silks, satins, chiffons, and other materials with a beautiful hand. The colors and details--like buttons--were perfect. Dresses, suits, coats, ensembles. And hugely influential on women's clothing through the 1950s and into the 1960s--when a whole new silhouette emerged.

2 comments:

  1. Man was genious.
    Love love love the silhouettes and, of course, I would wear pieces like these forever.
    Although: my waist isn't that slim...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree: he actually liked women to look like women, not dolls or robots or ugly stick-like insects. What a notion! (My waist isn't slim enough either!)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Come back and visit often.