Pages

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Frugal Tuesday

Well, this is an interesting mix of information for my Frugal Tuesday.

First, I am experimenting with homemade green cleaners.

Of course, I already use a mixture of white vinegar and water to clean windows. mirrors, and anything else glass. Which puts my "recycled" newspapers (used for packing dishes) to a good third use.

This week, however, I have mixed up a batch of dishwashing detergent, using this recipe including borax, baking soda, and lemon Kool-Aid. I am a huge fan of borax for making laundry sparkle, period, and this seems a good second use. This cost me about $1.29 (box of baking soda) plus $1 (Kool-Aid) plus $.35, so $2.64... and each load will cost about $.20 (or less). You can then use white vinegar as a rinse aid.

Second, I failed last month's Pantry Challenge. Yesterday I opened my pantry to organize it in the New Apartment and found it stuffed with "stuff." I checked the freezer and, yes, the same condition. MORE stuff, rather than less. And a friend who is moving out of town dropped off two shopping bags (thankfully, not huge ones) for me. I love that, but now is the springtime of our overstuffed storage spaces.

Which only means I must, must, must start again. With the May Pantry/Freezer Challenge... and be more inventive and pre-planned.

Starting tomorrow with Pork Scalloppine with Lemon, Shallots, and Capers.

Third, today for slightly under $18 (including shipping and handling) I ordered four new booksI need for current scholarship second-hand from Amazon--including one at the amazing price of $0.01... and treated myself to Tinkers (another book on my 50/2011) with the birthday B&N card a friend gave me.

It looks as if my summer course will definitely not make, so I'll be able to practice frugality all summer, May through August. I'll share my succeesses and failures, as well as brilliant and bad ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Come back and visit often.