Pages

Saturday, July 2, 2011

Cooking this week!

This week was another week in the "empty my pantry, fridge, and freezer, please" marathon.

I cooked:
  • Quinoa, Black Bean, & Corn Salad (epicurious): used on-hand quinoa, jalapenos, canned black beans, chicken broth, rice wine vinegar; used fresh corn, green peppers
  • Chicken/Pork with Peppers & Tomatoes (epicurious): used on-hand chicken breast and pork tenderloin chunks, canned tomatoes, onion, and spices; used fresh peppers (shared with above)
  • Edamame and Avocado Soup (Cooking Light): used frozen edamame, chicken broth; used fresh avocades
On top of this, I took advantage of  my grocery's gorgeous selection of fresh cherries, apricots (lurve me some apricots!), watermelon, and corn... and once again made yogurt in the slow-cooker. This week I used 2% instead of whole milk, and the flavor was flatter, less delicious. Still good, better than store-bought of any brand.



This past week I bought some salmon (no fish left in freezer), so this week's cooking will include poached salmon (one of my all-time favorite, simple recipes) as well as another quinoa salad of some kind. Quinoa has quickly becomes a favorite "simple" grain, giving a fresh, nutty flavor to fresh vegetables like corn, peppers, jalapenos, and avocados, as well as black beans.


I may also try some Fourth of July specials, if there is a party...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Come back and visit often.