Pages

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Clutter-Free Living: National Clean Out Your Inbox Week

While there are 12 rules, I plan to take them bite-by-bite.

This week:
#1. Decide that you want to change your emailing habits: Done.
#2. Turn off all bell, flashers, and notifications; all automatic contacting devices. Done.
#3. Create action folders and use them. Done!

I plan to introduce three new folders to my biggest email account: Action Today, Action This Week, Action This Month. Done!

Then I can immediately move emails into these folders... or delete them or handle them (in 2 minutes).



I'm looking at this as "managing my resources," one of my 2011 goals. Not to be controlled by the cell phone or email box, but to use it as I need. As I said in my post on "Five Essential Things" this week, I don't want to list my phone, because I do go out without it... and plan to continue to do so. I don't want to be ruled by electronic/technical devices, or have my time dictated by them.

Or find myself in unnecessary conversations in grocery stores, or texting constantly while waiting in traffic or standing in line. I don't really have that much to say, nor am I important enough to be "on call" for everyone--or expect them to be so for me.

Here's another point of view: Zen Habits.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Come back and visit often.