Pages

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Rent or Buy?

So this year I attacked my "living situation" by fixing an immediate problem (my landlord) and a long-term problem (lack of space).

Since April I have been living in a lovely apartment with what feels like twice the space (moving from 750 sq. ft. to 1050 sq. ft.), with more windows (only 1 more, to be honest--but better views, more light because not backed up on building), more green space (LOTS more green space, trees, grounds), a back porch/patio, and more quiet. It feels more open, more peaceful, more homelike.

I have rented since I was 21 and moved to NYC. Through grad schools--two degrees, two schools--and here in DFW. Even now, in what is really a boom market in Dallas for buying, I rent.

Why?

Every few years I yearn to buy a house. I look, I price, I think... but I don't.

1. I like the flexibility and freedom of renting. If the apartment gets too small/too expensive/too loud or the landlord gets too fussy/a crack habit/guns/too present or too absent, I can go. Moving is a pain, but the landlord who lives two doors away with a coke habit and handguns is no joke.

2. The plumbing is someone else's problem. Ditto landscaping, insurance, termites, and taxes.

3. "Fixer-Upper" is what I can afford in terms of price but not time... so there we are. I'm not buying to flip, I'm buying to nest.

4. I don't want to retire in DFW. But I'm thinking about retirement homes now, as vacation homes/rental properties, etc.

2012 will become the year of researching where I will build this house:



When I know where, I can plan when.

What the future location must have:
  • access to major airport for ease of travel
  • access to decent medical facilities (just in case!)
  • no freezing winters, no muggy/100+ summers
  • seasons: 4, not 2
  • bookstores, restaurants, museums, theatre/performance venues (or university with same) within reason (4 places I spend my time)
  • view of mountains or ocean... or both? + trees
  • no extreme weather: hurricanes. tornedos, blizzards, droughts
Ideas? Anyone?

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a perfect description of San Francisco - or if you want to spend a bit more - Seattle. Actually Seattle has only one season - drizzle, so not Seattle. (And Seattle was quite unfriendly.) But maybe Portland, in the aptly named Pearl District. If I could spend every summer the rest of my life in the Pearl District of Portland, I would be very happy. Portland is a more intellectual city than Seattle, with French speaking gatherings going on all the time. But one of my sons went to law school in San Francisco, and I was surprised that living there is actually quite a bit more affordable than I thought, so I am re-examining San Francisco as a possible retirement destination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to suggest Seattle because it has a larger airport than Portland but I live in and love Portland. Right now the leaves are changing, though Beryl's right - it's rainy or cloudy more often than sunny. And the airport isn't major - the only direct, non-stop to Europe is Amsterdam. The summers are wonderful here, and it rarely snows. Mountains and the coast are within an hour or so.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Come back and visit often.