Pages

Monday, January 16, 2012

William Morris and The Bedroom, Day 3

The only short-term task left is reorganizing the underbed boxes that hold my linens, including sheets, pillowcases, and quilts. Which will, in turn, clear off the green velvet loveseat in my bedroom and make it usable.

I have three boxes under there. One for unused curtains and random linens. One for flannel sheets. One for cotton sheets. I also store a couple of extra blankets in plastic covers under there.

I have a lot of room under my bed.

The sheets are the most pressing re-organization category. In the last year I have donated two sets of flannel sheets and discarded one set of older cotton sheets. On my bed, I use four pillowcases and one bottom sheet weekly, plus a down comforter + quilt in winter and a lightweight quilt in summer. (Top sheets for each set are stored.)

But here's the legacy of hoarding and home shopping: I have two cotton bottom sheets + pillowcases in pink, one in white, so three sets that rotate through the spring/summer/autumn months. In flannel, I have a striped set in red/green/blue/white, a pink set (yes, solid pink), and a set with blue roses: these rotate throug the colder winter months. Six sets of sheets for one person seems excessive, but since it used to be nine sets...

Tasks for today, to finish:
  • clear off the loveseat and hang up/put away all the "stuff" lurking there
  • dust and wipe down the underbed boxes
  • organize cotton sheet sets into one, flannel sets into a second
  • cover the loveseat's fading upholstery with a throw
  • vacuum, dust fan's panels, empty trash can
I also received the treat I bought myself as a post-New Year's gift: a dawn light simulator-alarm clock.



I've wanted one of these for a long time, and the price was finally right. This is said to allow one to wake with more energy, as the light gradually brightens over a 30-minute period. It has a radio plus 3 "sounds" (including birds, if I want to make Jack crazy!). I'll be able to ditch the clanging alarm clock.

Plus, I did a load of dishes in the dishwasher, 2 loads of laundry in the washer/dryer, emptied and put away both, printed and posted week's proposed outfits, charged all electronics. I've still got prep to do for first-day class tomorrow, but in general I'm ready... I think.

Next week: William Morris and the kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Come back and visit often.