Pages

Saturday, November 13, 2010

November's books

#13, The Black Cauldron by Lloyd Alexander (1965)

This book along with The Legends of King Arthur were the first books I ever bought wiht my own money, at a book sale at the Unitarian Church we attended (where I learned to make macaroni pictures and do magic tricks!). I still have both.



This is part two of a five-part series (note the Macbeth-y witches on my cover!). As a kid, I never got that it was part of a series. It is a "Lord of the Ring" type medieval/fantasy saga that includes knights, magic, and quests. I don't think I ever read more than one or two of the rest of the series, but I loved the spookiness and size of this story, the magic and fantasy. It took me a while to get thru it--I was five when I bought it--but I guess I see where I got my love of this type of epic saga. Oh, and with King Arthur tales...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Come back and visit often.