Pages

Friday, February 11, 2011

If I were in Paris... Friday, February 11

Today's weather in Paris is in the 40s, partly cloudy.

Today I'd be tempted to visit a new exhibition "Paris, Avant-Apres: 1860-2010" at the l'Academie d'Architecture. The exhibition includes photos from before Haussman through the present, comparing specific sites in Paris then and now. I love these kinds of exhibitions, that compare an older city with the new one via photographs, paintings, or other visual representations. It reminds me how short the period of 150 years is, and how very great the distance is, in fact, between 1860 and 2010 in terms of culture, perspective, and identity.

The exhibition only runs until 2.24, everyday, from 11 am to 7 pm, for free. And the bonus is that the site is in the Place des Vosges, #9, the Hotel des Chaulnes.

Which would give me an excuse to walk the Place des Vosges in its entriety, as well as the gardens. It is one of my favorite sites in Paris (and I'm not alone).

Then I might go over to the Irish Cultural Center and see the exhibition "Lire plume a la main", an exhibition of books inscribed with notes by famous readers. 5, rue des Irlandais, in the 5th, not to far from the Pantheon, which is the next great idea.



I haven't been to the Pantheon for some time, and aside from the possiblities of some great photos, there are many many charming little student cafes to sit in afterwards for an aperitif or a coffee.

As usual, the lovely end of the day might be a walk down to the Seine, then across the Ile de la Cite to take the Metro home.

2 comments:

  1. cool. I stayed at the Hotel du Pantheon in October. It's a great location.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never stayed in a hotel in this part of town. I usually spend time here, but should try to find a budget hotel there. Too beautiful to ignore!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Come back and visit often.